Install Time: 5 minutes
Experience Required: Basic
SABnzbd is a multi-platform binary newsgroup downloader. The program works in the background and simplifies the downloading verifying and extracting of files from Usenet. SABnzbd uses NZB files (similar to .torrent files, but for Usenet), instead of browsing Usenet directly. Yes that is copy and pasted from their description.
You will need a UseNet subscription and I personally recommend UseNet Farm. I have used it from day one and have zero complaints.
1. Few things to make sure you can handle extra repositories:
2. Now enable multiverse and universe:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
3. Add SABNzbd repository for stable releases:
4. We will add one more repository, update so it learns new packages and install SABNzbd and dependencies:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install sabnzbdplus python-sabyenc
5. Lastly, lets verify SABNzbd is running fine:
You can view SABNzbd here: http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/
Setup Auto Start on Boot:
1. We need to edit /etc/default/sabnzbdplus and replace USER= with USER=yourusername. Use Ctrl + X then type Y then hit Enter.
2. Now that we can use the commands below to start and stop SABNzbd.
sudo systemctl enable sabnzbdplus